Tuesday, April 5, 2011

This Girl Can't Dance!


Last night was a first for me. I'm not sure what it is about me, but I do not do group aerobics. I think it's the fact that they scare me. What if I can't keep up with everyone else? What if people are watching me? What if I look like an absolute moron? Well, after an invite from my beautiful sister-in-law I decided to "just do it."

The website www.danceandfit.com describes Zumba as "a fusion of body sculpting movements with easy to follow dance steps to the tune of Latin and International music." Really? Really?? In what world are those steps easy to follow? As we made our way into the gym I felt the panic wash over me. Everyone was already dancing, together, with at least some type of rhythm, but where was the instructor? Where were the step-by-step instructions for each dance move? The wave of panic was fleeting as I spotted the instructor and realized that there were others who didn't fully know what they were doing. This was a take a deep breath, jump in and hope you can swim approach to dance, no step-by-step instructions necessary. The instructor danced and I jumped in, hoping I could get at least a few moves down by the time each song was done. About 2 songs into the workout my legs were burning, my chest was heaving, and the things the instructor was shaking were not the same things shaking on me, but I realized something. I was smiling - probably a weird and disturbing looking smile as I concentrated on moving my body in the right direction, but none the less it was there. By the time we were done I had come to the conclusion that even though my moves were FAR from perfect I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I had gotten out of my own way and allowed myself to experience something new and it was FUN. Yay me! Yay Zumba!

This morning I have that sore feeling of accomplishment. That knowledge that I did something good for myself, body and soul. The Zumba class meets every Monday night and I intend to go as often as possible. Hopefully, my intentions pan out!

1 comment:

  1. I thought you did great Jen, I was watching you some of the time to try and get back into rhythmn!


    Britt

    ReplyDelete