Monday, December 3, 2012

A Second To Spare


Every year as I ponder Christmas, I ask the LORD to make it more real to me.  I don’t want to get caught up in the hustle of bustle of trying to perfect things that, in reality, don’t make much difference.  I mean, I love Christmas lights and buying gifts, but my outdoor display of Christmas spirit will not be the piece of Christmas that truly changes a persons’ life forever. 

As I ponder this year, the thought that keeps coming back to me is how life can be forever changed in one short second.  I mean really, isn’t that a HUGE piece of what the Christmas story is about.  In one short second the world was changed for eternity, never to be the same.  OK, don’t get me wrong.  I know that child birth takes more than a split second.  I have been there, 3 times, but there came a second, one amazing second, where the Christ child was thrust into this world, took his first breath, and changed the course of history.  It got me thinking.

What do I do with my seconds?  If a split second is all it takes, then what can one do with that second?  Here are a few things I came up with:

   - Say “I’m sorry.”
   - Choose to forgive, even after years of holding a grudge.
   -  Buy the person in line behind you at Starbucks a coffee.
   - Tell your children or someone in your life that you love them.
   - Give someone a hug.
   - Choose a kind word instead of an angry one in a heated situation.
   - Let someone merge into your lane, even when you’re in a hurry.
           
Anyway – there’s many more, but you get the point.  The choices that we make in one second have the power to change another persons’ life and our own.  We may not always feel like it, but we all have a second to spare.  What will you do with yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment